Monday 24 September 2012

I can now say "I'm a half marathoner!"




A year ago, I ran my 5km run at the World Alzheimer's Day 'Run for Heroes' Marathon in beautiful Amherstburg, Ontario.  My friend ran the half marathon.  I remember telling him he was nuts to run that far.  Seriously, what's wrong in your brain to make you want to run 21 kms?  I had just finished a 5km race and I wanted to die.  Never, never, never, would I run a half marathon.


Finishing my 5k at The Run for Heroes 2011


At the beginning of August, we were out having a coffee and he says to me "Run the half with me.".  At first I thought no way.  Then he starts convincing me, he'll work out a 7 week training program that will get me ready in time for the half.  Well, let's just say he's very convincing.  So that night I registered for the half.  Then he emailed me the training schedule over.  First week was 5, 7, and 9km run.  Uh, I've only ever ran 5k.  But I've spent the money so, have to get through it.  Over the next 7 weeks I only missed one short run because of my IT band acting up.  The whole time he would check in on me to make sure I was getting my runs in.

One week before the run, we did a long run together.  He pushed the pace faster than I was comfortable with, but I got through it.  So now the training is done, I can't do anything but run my race.  We decide that the three of us will run together.  Now he's done many halfs and fulls, and his son has ran a couple halfs.  So I'm the odd one out.  I tell myself over and over, stick with them as long as you can.
Dean, Scott and I at the starting line.  Smiling but oh so nervous!

We go to the start gate and he goes right behind the 2 hour pace group...uh, really? Ok I guess.  Gun goes off and we are on our way.  Right away, I feel great, pace feels good, weather is perfect.  We keep a great pace, don't even slow down at the water stations, just grab and go!  

The whole time we're talking about movies, stories, houses....Anything to keep our mind off the run.  Right about 11K the 10 kmer's link up with us.  We start passing people like mad, and it got us all fired up, like a second wind.  At kilometer 13, the full marathon runners turn off and the pack spreads right out.  And now we're talking about how nice it is not to have to follow them, hell we're over half way done! 

At 16.5km i get the best pick me up.  We're running by the cars lined up along the road, and I hear "Go Daddy, I love you".  My kids are in the car with my parents on their way to the finish line.  Now I've got lots of energy again!  We get to 18.5km and my buddy and his family are banging on their window in their house.  More motivation!


Just as Dean started to take off on us.  Oh I'm gonna catch him.
So we get 2 km out, and Scott and I are picking up the pace a little, his son is saying "I can't go faster". So we just lie to him and tell him it's the same pace, he's just getting tired.  We keep motivating each other and talk about how cool it's gonna be to cross the line together.  We get just under a kilometer out, and Dean starts to pick up the pace.  Game on young grass hopper!  So i catch him and it's now a sprint to the finish line.  We leave Scott in the dust.  Dean and I end up crossing together, but who crossed first?  Photo finish?




We get our medals and grab some snacks.  Time to find out who's top dog.  we head over to the time charts.....Drum roll...We finished at the exact same time to the millisecond. Scott came in 2 seconds behind us. Well there you have it.  I'm officially a half marathoner, with a time of 1:55:00.  Before the race I kept telling myself to beat 2:15, beat 2:15...I did it!  Huge thanks to Scott, a great friend and a great running coach!  Could not have done it with out him!

6 comments:

  1. Sean great job! You rock! That is an impressive time! Congrats my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!! You make me believe I CAN do that 5k!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WooHoo, you rocked it! What a great time and how wonderful that you were able to do it with friends. So...when is your next one? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already hunting for another to do. :) Thanks Nicole! I've got so much respect for Scott, so to run with him and his son, simply amazing!

      Delete