Friday 7 September 2012

Time to try this Blog thing!

After a bit of listening to people, I've decided to try this blog thing out.   I can't promise it's going to be great reading, but we'll see how it goes.  I guess the first blog will be about what's on my mind right now, RUNNING.  It's on my mind because I'm about to do something that I never in a million years thought I would even consider doing, a half marathon.  This is the part of the story where the blurred screen comes in and you do the flash back.  So let's go back a year and a half ago.....

My oldest Daughter finally was allowed to ride a bike (That's another story for another time)...So as Dad's do, we put them on the bike tell them it'll be ok and to keep peddling! Then we run besides them holding on the the back of the bike.  So we start off and I want to DIE!  I couldn't do it.  I came to the realization that I was fat and out of shape.  Lucky my daughter was a natural and got it right away or the ambulance would have had to come get me.

So...you're fat and out of shape and you're 36 years old.  Better make some changes in your life fatty!  Obviously smoking over a pack a day, eating tons of fast food, and junk food, and sitting my ass on the couch was not creating the best body.  A friend of mine at work had just started running, and loosing some weight, so I picked his brain.  He told me about this C25K thing!  Now if you've been living under a rock and don't know what that is, C25K stands for "Couch to 5 KM".  It's the best program for new runners.  I'll get more into the details of the program later.  After picking his brain for a couple days about it, I made my decision to try it out.   Now I wasn't convinced that I would do it, or be able to do it.

Let me say this.....THE PROGRAM WORKS!  Don't get me wrong, it's not easy, you won't have set backs, and you won't want to quit.  But with a little motivation and a desire, you will have successes!

I used the app from Bluefin Software called Ease into 5K (Previously called C25K) on my iPod touch.  It plays your music and signals you to run or walk.  It's a 3 day a week program.  So I'm using this program and I see a trend...

Day 1 - Those people that run are nuts, I can't do this.  (but I fight through)
Day 2 - Well that wasn't too bad, better than day 1
Day 3 - Oh Baby, bring on next week, I got this!

So, get the app!  Put those shoes on and get out the door!  Register yourself for a 5k race close to the end of your program and get moving!

http://www.bluefinapps.com/#ourapps


1 comment:

  1. Sean,

    This is a great blog post. Who would've thought running behind a bike could be a motivator? What do are kids do to us :)! I am so happy now for you, and your family with the choice you have made to get off the couch and into running. Thank you for picking Bluefin Software to help get you there.
    Would love to read more posts in the future. Keep up the good work!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete